Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Going all out for New Year's Eve

Even though we have kept our New Year's Eve menu shrouded in secrecy we are now fully booked for that night.  I'm excited about the food that we're going to be cooking so here's a sneak peak.  Raw materials are arriving.  Prep begins in earnest tomorrow.  I was going to start on the boozy gingerbread steamed pudding tonight but I was unfortunately stymied by a lack of fresh ginger.  So, I blog instead.

Four geese going in brine soon.  They will then be air-dried in our cooler overnight before getting roasted whole.  Raised free-range in South Dakota by the Schiltz family, we got these beauties along with a healthy 30# bucket of goose fat, some fatty goose livers, and some goose wings.  We're not sure where the goose wings will end up yet but I'm excited about the possibilities just having them nearby.  Goose wings!  Who has ever had those?

We also have some really wild wild rice, not something that you have probably ever had, vastly different from the paddy grown "wild" rice that is readily available.  I've been bugging Millar to get some of this for years, since my days at Journeyman, and he finally ordered it for me.  We cooked some of it today, tossed in some herb butter and salt.  Really delicious.  I don't remember exactly but I think Brittany said it was "off the hook."

Other highlights: whole trout wrapped in prosciutto, confit pork shoulder, brussels sprouts with bacon, and roasted heirloom squash from Trillium Haven Farm.  Brandon's making sausages, Blair's making truffles, Chef is braising and roasting everything in sight.  And in the end we will set that steamed gingerbread pudding ablaze with some bourbon. 

Oh, and I think there will be some wine to go with the food, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment